We all want to keep our vehicles in good condition for smooth functioning and good resale value. We all know that the damaged Chennai cars due to floods had got auctioned at dirt cheap prices. If you've lived through flooding or a hurricane anytime, chances are your vehicle has, too. Flood-damaged used cars have a terrible reputation, but that's mainly due to incorrect action on the previous owner's part. If your vehicle recently suffered water damage, it is fixable if you act quickly and follow the steps below. In the case of serious flooding, these steps may be just the beginning and there would be a need to head to an experienced mechanic for a full work over. JOPASU Service team, after inspection and can help you in determining whether the vehicle is roadworthy again and also take all the necessary steps to get your car back on road.
Following are the preliminary actions that need to be taken immediately.
- Park your car in a safe dry place and open to sunlight all day if possible. If there is rain all time, take the car to your garage and arrange fans, hair dryers etc.
- Open everything: doors, hood, trunk, t-tops, vent windows, glove box, everything.
- Call your insurance agent immediately. If it’s taking time, take pictures and video of every part. Note the amount of water in the vehicle and marks indicating how high the water rose. As a general rule, if the waterline is over your dashboard, then you're better off asking insurance to total the car instead of trying to save it. You should be aware whether the insurance is comprehensive and covers weather damage or only disaster assistance
- Once your vehicle is open, disconnect your vehicle's battery. Then disconnect any wiring under the seats, and start by removing everything from the interior, including the carpet. Check what all parts can be separated by you and remove as many– seats, plastic trims, door panels, dashboard etc.
2) QUICK DRYING
- Use a wet/dry vacuumand towels to remove excess water and mud from the interior. Make use of hair dryer, heat guns etc and hit the areas that will take longer to dry, such as door internals and seats. The more airflow you have, the faster it dries out, and the less rust and mold you have to deal with later.
- ENGINE BAY: Real work is here. Check the dipsticks in your oil and transmission fluid. If you find water droplets clinging to the dipsticks, change your transmission fluid, oil, and oil filter. Next, siphon fuel from your tank. If water separates out from the fuel, drain and replace it with fresh fuel. Change out your fuel filter, replace the battery if needed. And since water and electronics don't gel, check these elements carefully. Replace relays or fuses that no longer work.
- PLASTIC: Use cleaners, shampoos or whatever you have on your shelf. Just clean the plastic and allow to dry.
- CARPET: Wash the carpets thoroughly. Use Carpet cleaners, JOPASU Fabric shampoo or soaps and stiff brush to help work the cleaners into the carpet. If the carpets are too worn off and seen many good days, replacing them would be appropriate.
- UPHOLSTERY: Cloth seats can often be cleaned with the same carpet and upholstery cleaners mentioned in the above step due to the need to gently lift stains and prevent mildew odors. For leather seats, use JOPASU Leather Cleaner to and Leather Conditioner to prevent stains on the seats
- STEEL: Iron and steel rusts slowly just being out in the open air, but the process speeds up dramatically when exposed to water. Wipe sry and heat dry the vehicle as much as possible. Spread a layer of baking soda as it is alkaline, extremely dry and massively inhibits rust formation.
- PAINT: Painted metal can be cleaned with JOPASU CAR SHAMPOO or GENERAL PURPOSE CLEANER or any soap or cleaner you possess at that very moment. Use what you have.
- ODOUR ElIMINATION: As a final step, spray the odor eliminator, spray cotton balls with FRESH LIME FRESHNER and place it under the seat that can keep the interior smelling like a new car instead of a swamp.
- Pull all the parts back together.
In the case of serious flooding, above steps may be just the beginning and there would be a need to head to an experienced mechanic for a full work over. JOPASU Service team, after inspection and can help you in determining whether the vehicle is roadworthy again and also take all the necessary steps to get your car back on road.
JOPASU blogs and learning center is the source of information for “Car Care” / “Auto Care” that assists you into your car care regimen. The blogs and learning center guides you in utilizing the products effectively as well as understanding the importance of usage of the products and services. For the latest car care news, visit the links www.jopasu.com/faq or www.jopasu.com/blogs. To order a free copy of our popular Car Care Guide, request the same using the ‘contact us’ page https://jopasu.com/contactus on our website www.jopasu.com.